When you hear baby shower you think of a fun party and gifts the expecting mother will receive. However, there is a deeper meaning to this get together than just gifts. This is a sentimental time where close family and friends gather together to celebrate a woman’s life transitioning into motherhood. It gives support to the new mother to see her friends and family together who are pampering her and sharing mom advices too. It’s also a celebration of upcoming birth of a new baby.
Baby shower is different from other parties in that it is usually organized by a friend or a family member for the expecting mother. It is however perfectly fine for expecting parents to throw a baby shower too. Here are some ideas to help spark your creativity for a fun and memorable baby shower party whether its for a friend, a family or for yourself.
Nowadays a simple invitation can be sent via text or through social media apps. Often times people view the message once and it is easily forgotten. Sending a personalized invitation the old fashion way, through the mail shows more effort is placed and it is pretty to look at.
- Big News: The arrival of a newborn into the world is exciting news. When we think of news, we think newspaper. Announce your baby shower with a newspaper style invitation.
2. Due Date: Library cards always have a due date and so does the end of every pregnancy. Have guest bring the invitation with a book to your party as a way to check in.
4. Baby Clothes: Have your invitation on a cute baby onesie . Onesies are an infant’s first piece of clothing and it is also unisex.
5. About to Pop: Many are familiar with the term, I am about to pop when referring to pregnant woman. A balloon invitation with text is a creative play on words. Guest can blow the balloon to use it for decoration or play a game. Jackie has a great step by step for a DIY invitation.
Of course planning a baby shower is no easy task. Often times when planning a party, there are always a ton of ideas and it does get overwhelming. However, choosing a theme will help you stick to one idea and reduce the urge of wanting to buy everything or over spending too much at once.
- Guess the Gender: A cliché theme yet thrilling as it keeps the guest guessing and divided between what the gender of the newborn will be. Have a voting table and guest show up in either pink or blue to represent the gender they choose.
2. Under Construction: It is a play on words as the baby’s growth is constructing in the womb, until the final product is finished. Have construction tape, hard hats, for kids and adults to wear as an outfit.
3. Bun in The Oven: Baking is associated with cakes and pastry. You could have a breakfast shower with tea and pastries.
4. Seasonal: Depending on the season in which the baby will be born, the baby shower can be a seasonal theme. For example, fall theme relates to pumpkins, hot chocolate and so on. Making mini baby pumpkin pie will be a great treat.
Food and drink
Provide hearty meals that will keep guest full and satisfied while being interactive. Serve finger foods for snacks while guests are settling down. Here is a cute recipe for making a newborn devil egg.
1.Have a BBQ. By having the party take place outside, men can focus on the barbeque, while women can relax and catch up. This a great way to receive mom advice. A BBQ can be held in the backyard or the park. There is less mess to clean at home and kids can run around freely.
2. Do It Yourself: Perhaps go for a Taco theme, where your guests can customize their own taco with their choice of meat and toppings. Who doesn’t love a good taco or two.
3. Potluck: A big party or intimate, a potluck is never a bad idea. That way your guest can try your each other’s creation. Make sure to share a list of who is bringing what, to avoid duplication.
Fun activities and games will keep your guest entertained especially when a prize is involved. Keep in mind, that the games should involve both men and women at the party.
Some interactive games that both dads and mom can participate in are:
1.Drinking contest – Participants will drink out of a baby bottle and who finishes first wins. The choice of beverage can be alcoholic or juice for expecting moms.
2. Guess the Chocolate? – Place a variety of chocolates on clean diapers and have the participants smell and guess the type of chocolate it is. The one who has the most correct guesses wins.
3. My Water Broke – A great summer game, fill balloon with water and have a partner you can toss the balloon with. With each toss, increase the distance between you two and whoever drops the balloon yells my water broke as all the water comes out.
4. Guess The Baby – As you celebrate the arrival of your bundle of joy, a great way to break the ice is to take a trip to memory lane and visit your guests baby pictures. Have them bring their baby pictures and drop it off in a basket near the door when they enter to remain anonymous and have a guessing game who is whom in the picture.
For more creative ideas, take a look at beaucoup list of games.
Finally capture many pictures as these will become priceless memories for the expecting mom. With that said, do not stress over the food and décor, as the main attention is on the expecting mom and her baby.